Saturday, June 14, 2008

Danger Day



Thursday we went to Gulu Africa. This is the site of several camps in which people have fled during the past several years from attacks by rebels. These camps are mostly young mothers and their children. During these raids many people were killed and children from the ages of 5 years old to 15 years old were taken and forced to join these rebels. The woman was raped and many had children from these attacks.

I thought the people we were helping before were poor. These people are the poorest of the poor. These people make the homeless in America look like millionaires. They have nothing. They have no food, clothing, and sometimes the shelter is just a hut with a dirt floor. We then asked a several people to describe their lives during these attacks and most were very afraid to talk about as they feel they may come back. People who talk about the attacks have been found and their tongues cut out. One old woman told us her son was taken in a raid on the village 5 years ago when he was about 10 and she has no idea if he is dead or alive.

This is the only time I was uncomfortable and un safe on the trip. We were deep in the village and a long way from our bus. I kept expecting someone to come and get us. Somehow in Africa I don’t think that “I want to see my lawyer” works.

We then met about 25 very young mothers from the ages of 15-20 and their children. I gave one girl the Hotel Valley Ho doll that I took to Africa “Dia-Ho”. Look at her picture. She was so proud and happy to get this doll. I thought the most interesting thing happened here when we were talking to these poor mothers with no food or anything for their kids. They were asked what one need the had they felt would help them most. I thought the answer would be FOOD. They almost all together said “EDUCATION”. I was floored. Here they starving and they want education even before food. I also included a picture of this boy and his smile. The photo is great!

We then went to our hotel and spent the night in the town just outside of these camps. The hotel was pretty bad and again wanted the night to pass and go to our next stop which was a safari very far from here.

No comments: