Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 3 Uganda




Day 3 in Uganda was the hardest work I have ever done. We moved a stack of bricks from one place to another and move dirt from what seemed like a mountain to the foundation of the house we are building. It was hot and very hard work. The villagers came to greet us again and the roof of the church is almost complete. The people here are so poor yet they seem so happy. They really like that we are here and even more than what we bring or do for them is the time we spend with them. I thought of an idea before we left and that was to bring a scrap book and have them place a finger print and their name in the book. I thought I would do this everyday we were here. On the first day I got some people to do this, but today there was a line on people who wanted to be in the book. Some mothers took their kids out of the school and came to the church to be in the book. Some of these children were only months old. There were 2 small children I would say 3 years old who when they went to place their fingers on the ink pad to place the finger print pulled away and started crying. They thought they were getting a shot from a doctor.

I also gave a hat away today and 5 pair of sandals and 2 T shirts. This had to be done very carefully as there are hundreds of people and if you hand out things they rush you and all want something. Yesterday when we were getting ready to leave I was in our bus and started to eat some nuts (with shells). I had a group of people standing outside the bus window. A small boy came up to the window and asked for a nut. I gave him one and it was a mess. About 20 kids ran up to the bus wanting some. He gave the nut to his mom and they could not figure out how to open it. There are so many kids and they are in need of everything. One small boy probably about 3 cut his foot pretty bad. I asked if there was anything we could do. The answer was no. He was barefoot so putting on a band aid and any kind of anti biotic would not even last a few minutes. Attached you will see the boy I gave my hat to. I have enough hats to give one away a day. As I leave for the day I just pick a child and put it on his head and then get on the bus. They are so proud to get the hat. As a sign of respect they kneel at your feet.

I have never been this tired in my life. The work is long and very hard labor, but at the end of the day very rewarding. I am also attaching a sign that says “report the dead”. What the?

We are off tomorrow from the hard labor and on our own/free time. I can hardly wait to see what kind of trouble I can get into.

3 comments:

DOPO MIchael said...

Terry,
The pictures and commentary have been fun and inspiring to read. We are proud of you taking on this task and it certainly seems like the people who will beneifit from these efforts are truly appreciative. I really envy you being on this trip as although a major culture shock for you it must be a blast to be doing something so worthwhile for those that truly appreciate your efforts, unlike the response you get for your efforts here :)
I expect to see the callouses on your hands as proof that you didn't just pose for those pictures. :)
By the way have you been reported yet and if so were you considered dead, an non citizen or under-aged?
Also WTF does "mind your particulars" mean? I am totally confused.
Maybe you can bring back some pictures of these happy but poor children and teach the spoiled knuckleheads that whine when they can't get into the pool what doing without really looks likes.
Keep up the good work and the pictures and commentary. Good Luck
Michael

Susan in HR said...

What an amazing adverture you are on. Your scrap book idea is brilliant--you are giving these people a type of immortality--how cool is that. Miss you skulking around HR, but know what you're doing is so much more rewarding. Can't wait for the next installment.

Smar said...

aww it makes me want to cry about how much the kids love the hats you give them. I'm proud of you and Andy. :)
janna