Sunday, June 15, 2008

Good Bye Uganda




The last day here in Uganda for me it met with mixed emotions. I always wanted to do something extra ordinary in my life. I wanted to do something that when you told someone what it was, they would be amazed that you did it. I think this was it. I will miss this place when I return to my normal life. It certainly was not the luxury vacation I could have gone on for the money I spent, but it was truly a trip of a lifetime. These people are so poor and so remote. I asked our group a question. I reminded them of a lady we met in a remote village we met earlier in the trip. I asked them if they were dropped off there today and would not be picked up for a year would you do it for a million dollars. My answer would be no. Its unbelievable conditions and I really would not do it for a million dollars.

The city is dirty filthy and packed with people and cars, trucks, taxis, that belch out diesel fumes that would make anyone choke. You drive past street children as young as 4 years old begging in the street with no one around. You drive deep into the jungle and meet people with nothing except a yellow water jug that they have to walk miles to get muddy dirty water that we would not even touch let alone drink. They have clothes that we would throw away. The live off the land and eat food that they have to go far to get. They never go to bed without the fear of starving, illness that will kill them, and being attacked (animals or people). Many are sick and will die because they cannot afford less than the $100 it would cost to cure them of such things as Malaria and other curable diseases. There are so many orphans that are left to fend for themselves because both parents are dead of aids. However they go forward everyday and yet when we encounter them they smile. Every village every time the people smiled because we showed up and spent time with them. Most of the time we had nothing to give them except our time and they smiled. It is those smiling faces that I will miss.

I hated the fact that I had things to give to some and not to others. I hated giving money to those who needed it most but not to others. I hated that when we went to a village that knew we were coming they set up a make shift shelter for us to sit under and had food and drinks for us while they sat in the hot sun and had nothing. I hated that there were people that for $100 or less would be cured and could not give them the money to do it. I hate that there is so much of this. I went to just a few tiny villages in a very small country. There are thousands of these villages and there are so many countries in Africa just like this. The governments are corrupt and offer almost no help and in fact deny access for groups like this to come into their countries. I used to see programs and commercials on TV about Africa and its problems. I also am afraid that when I get home it will be very hard to explain it to everyone. Being here using all five senses is the only way to effectively experience it. I can describe it as taking a picture while at the Grand Canyon. You stand at the edge of the Canyon and see this amazing thing right before your eyes and take a picture of it. You then have the picture developed and show it to your friends. As you show it to them although it’s a great picture, it does not capture what you saw when you stood on the edge that day and took the picture. I took some great pictures that I hope have captured my time here. I hope you have enjoyed reading my adventures, but it’s not the same as being here. I’m not sure really what to do when I get back home. I know I want a Starbucks right away with a hot shower and a good night’s sleep. I know I want to be greeted by my wife and my puppies at the airport. What I don’t know is what will happen to the people I met during these last 2 weeks. What I miss already is those smiling faces.

4 comments:

Susan in HR said...

This has been the most amazing thing to read, and you have brought tears to my eyes more than once. I can't wait to take you and your bride to dinner, to see your pictures and hear more about this incredible trip.

Ben Pahlow said...

Dude.
Who doesn't!
Missing you,
Ben in Uganda

Unknown said...

Wow! You have certainly changed....and reading your comments has brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing how much we take for granted and how much "junk" we have that really does not matter. I can't wait to hear how the story ends and to see all of your pictures. Thanks for sharing!

BRYAN said...

Terry my mother has been reading your blog everyday , she has really enjoyed it. (she still cant believe that you of all people are in africa!! ) oh and by the way! now that your leaving africa, hippos will and do if they have too eat flesh!