Thursday, June 5, 2008

Uganda Day 2

Day 2 in Uganda was surprising! We drove 2 hours into the village in the Jungle and drove our bus on a road that was not a road. I cannot believe that the bus made it down the road. We then had to get off the bus because the weight could tip it over. We then walked up the path towards a church we were putting a roof on. We were then met with a parade of people from the village. They were singing and waving branches from trees and they were very LOUD! I first thought that they were really glad to see us or we were lunch. I don’t mean have lunch with us, but we were the lunch. It turns out they were glad to see us.

Over the last 10 years they have built this very basic church, but it has never had a roof. Today we built about ¾’s of the roof. It took ten years but we are almost done with it. We also helped with the pastor’s house next door. On Sundays the pastor has to come to this church from 12 miles away. There are no cars for these folks.

This was hard hard work. All the people rallied around and there were about 100 people working on these projects. We are returning tomorrow to finish the project. The kids just tear your heart out and are amazing. They are very shy and when you make eye contact with them they smile real big at you. I gave kid the hat I was wearing and he followed me everywhere for the rest of the day. It’s hard to talk with them as they do not speak English, but everyone seems to eventually understand.

I am sooooooo glad I brought Pop Tarts because that’s what I eat for breakfast and I have no lunch (by choice). I don't do packed lunches. EWWWWWE

They kind of encourage you to litter here. When you are done with the bottled water, you can throw it out the window and people will run to get the plastic bottle as they use them over again. Uganda is going green.

I am sooooooooooooooooo tired. Sleep is hard to get with all the animals at night making noise. I might have to kill something.

No comments: