Sunday, June 8, 2008

Saturday Our "Day" Off





Saturday was our “day off”. It was a welcome day off from the very hard work we have been doing. I woke up excited that we would be able to have some free time. The plan was to go into the city and get coffee “like Star Bucks” and then go to the mall. As I was in bed (a piece of foam with a piece of cloth over it) I thought it was very nice to have a day off. I then thought, the people in the village we have been working at don’t really ever get a day off. They never ever get to go into the city and even if they did they would never be able to go to the mall. What I would spend on a cup of coffee would be enough to feed a family for 2 weeks. They every day have to fend for them selves in the jungle. They can never have a day off. They get up everyday and have to gather food, firewood, and everything else just to survive.

I usually am one of the first up and work on this blog. The only thing I would like most is a hot shower and a hot cup of Star Bucks, but neither exists here. I then looked out and saw our security guard. We have a security guard 24 hours a day and our compound is locked and has high walls with razor wire. If not people would come in and I’m not sure what they would do but everywhere you go people have shot guns and rifles. I noticed that the security guard Mark had worn the same outfit everyday (he is security here 24 hours a day). I then gave him a Hotel Valley Ho shirt and hat and told him that I was in charge of security at the hotel and he needed a uniform if he was going to do security. He speaks no English but I could tell he was so happy to have these things. He put them on immediately and took his post at the front gate. About 20 minutes later he appeared on the front porch with the housekeeper who spoke English and she translated to me that Mark wanted to thank me and he was honored to receive the gifts I gave him. Again I realized that we have so much and the simple act of giving a T shirt and hat is so big here it’s almost an event every time it happens.

We then ventured into the streets to catch a taxi into the city. The taxi is a van and it cost about $1. As we got into the taxi it started rain. I mean it poured and the streets are dirt so its a mud hole. The traffic then came to a screeching stop and we sat in a van with no air conditioning and the windows fogged up. I felt like I was in a humidor. The reason we were stopped for so long was that the traffic police runaway when it rains so the traffic does not move. I suggested that we rob a bank if the police run away when it rains. That was shot down quickly as I’m sure the prisons here are just like in the US. We finally got to the mall where I had the worst steak ever. The mall is expanding and they are building an addition next to it. The way they build here is a series of sticks supporting the floors being built. This is unbelievable and I have attached a picture of this OSHA approved practice.

I found a store that sells shoes and they had a great pair of shoes for a small amount of money. I asked if they had size 12. The entire store only had sizes up to 11.
The entire mall has about 10-15 stores that were very small.
Oh well we finally came back from the mall and went to bed. About 2am some wild dogs barked all night and kept everyone awake all night. Finally when the dogs stopped it was 5am and the rooster started. I felt like My Cousin Vinnie and the train that kept them up all night. Oh well who needs sleep?

2 comments:

lucybell said...

i was wondering if the fingerprint book was also part of your missing persons/police background intuition? I am inspired every time I log onto your blog. thank you for that.

sara said...

I laughed my ass off about the My Cousin Vinnie reference!!! I can see it now!

I'm so proud of you dad!!! It's pretty emotional just reading about it, can't imagine being there!!!! Love you so much Grandpa!!! ; )